Re: [linux-audio-user] DVD-Audio

From: fons adriaensen <fons.adriaensen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 21:16:31 EET

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 10:20:34AM -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> On 2 March 2006 at 15:18, "Maluvia" <terakuma@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > I don't understand if any of today's DVD players, consumer
> > grade or higher, will actually play back [the DVD-Audio] format
> > at it's original resolution given the various copy-protection
> > schemes in place - particularly for the high-res PCM - and
> > whether these files can be output analog or digital or both.
> > Everything I've been reading about it seems to be pretty out of
> > date, and has only served to confuse me further.
>
> I have one DVD-Audio disc. It only plays in audiophile DVD players
> that specificly advertise that they play DVD-Audio. It isn't
> recognized by computer DVD drives, nor by consumer DVD players.

Yep, DVD-video and DVD-audio are two different beasts.
The DVD-A format by itself doesn't look bad, and it supports
uncoded multi-channel sound at high quality. Both the DRM and
the MLP coding are optional, so in theory you could create
DVD-A disks using only open source software. The matter was
discussed some time ago on the surround sound list, as the
DVD-A format is the only 'mainstream' one allowing musicians
and composers to create their own multichannel recordings.
But real full-spec DVD-A players are rare, and the future
of the format isn't very clear.

--
FA