[linux-audio-user] DVD-Audio

From: Maluvia <terakuma@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 01:18:02 EET

We are considering releasing our next album in DVD-Audio format, as well as
CD.
(This would be high-resolution stereo 192khz)
We've found authoring software (both open-source and commercial) that we
think will work, but are confused about the hardware player end of things -
the audio output in particular.

I don't understand if any of today's DVD players, consumer grade or higher,
will actually play back that format at it's original resolution given the
various copy-protection schemes in place - particularly for the high-res
PCM - and whether these files can be output analog or digital or both.
Everything I've been reading about it seems to be pretty out of date, and
has only served to confuse me further.

Is anyone here producing DVD-Audios of this sort?
Is this even a viable format anymore or has it already been abandoned in
the marketplace?

(If this is too OT for the list I'll move it elsewhere, but I'm really
interested in what your guys opinion is about it all.)

Confused,
Maluvia