Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Digital Fidelity

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 02:21:47 EET

On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 19:21 -0800, Maluvia wrote:
> David, you had me all the way up to this point:
>
> >And argue with people like Paul Davis on *this very subject* is bound
> >to failure, if not rude.
>
> I'm sorry, but I just can't go along with this concept that some people are
> off limits to argument, debate, disagreement, criticism or questioning.

    I agree. Anyway, Paul's not off-limits to arguing - we argue with
him all the time. I'm sure he loves it ;-)

> Perhaps there's some male heirarchical conditioning behind such a notion,
> but I can't accept it.
> If it was not 'rude' or 'disrespectful' to argue with or insult me, then it
> is not rude to argue with Paul, or anyone else on this list.
> As far as I am concerned, every single person on this list is an
> intelligent, accomplished person in their own right, in their own fields of
> endeavor, and deserving of equal respect - and equal scrutiny.
> I also think everyone here is making useful contributions in their own way
> to this community.
>
> It has not escaped my notice that certain individuals in this community are
> talked to, and about, with what borders almost on reverence and awe
> (sounding religious again ;) ) - and it makes me squirrelly, and rather
> embarassed.

    I do have to say that, after having programmed professionally for
about 30 years, Paul is damn good! Probably on the same level as some
of the higher end kernel people (and certainly way the hell better than
me ;-)

> If part of the community consensus here is that certain people are above
> others - for whatever reason - and that they are beyond questioning, I can
> no more fit in here than I did in academia.
> I hope that that is not really the case.

    Nope, you can yell at anyone here ;-) The nice thing here is that
most people can handle it. If you want to get seriously slapped down
try posting on prosoundweb (I don't even attempt it ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice