Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Interesting story for BCR2000 owners

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 02:37:07 EET

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 02:07 +1100, Loki Davison wrote:
> On 3/3/06, timg <timg@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Joe Hartley wrote:

> > >I find that Behringer's quality varies greatly, as does their originality.
> > >I have a BCF2000 controller which is just frelling brilliant. It works
> > >really well, and is, as far as I can tell, a very original piece of
> > >equipment.
> > >
> > >I also have a Behringer T1953 mic preamp which I never use because it
> > >gives me a much harsher sound than I like. I even prefer the preamps in
> > >my Behringer mixer to it. The mixer's not bad, and has never given me
> > >problems.
> > >
> > >The last piece of B gear I'll mention that I have is a cable tester. This
> > >is the piece of gear that shows what little regard they have for other
> > >companies when designing gear.
> > >
> > >Here's the B tester: http://www.behringer.com/CT100/index.cfm?lang=ENG
> > >and here's a piece of gear calles a Swizz Army tester, which is the
> > original
> > >product: http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--EBTSWIZZCT
> > >
> > >Other than the color of the case, these units appear identical, except
> > >for the price. This cheesed the folks who made the Swizz Army unit off,
> > >as you might expect.
> > >
> > >Google for behringer and aphex or roland or mackie, and you'll find that
> > >at least early on, the 2 big reasons they were able to sell their stuff
> > >so cheaply was Chinese labor (and that hasn't changed), and having a
> > >copying machine as the heart of their R&D department.
> > >

> > But if these actions are found to be within legal limits what can be done?
> > I must admint that a company that does not invest in it's own R&D is one
> > that will fail... and lose (at least my) respect.
> > tag
> >

> > --
> > The information contained in this email is confidential, intended
> > only for the use of the party to whom it is addressed. If you are
> > not the intended recipient, please be aware that you are strictly
> > prohibited from sharing,distributing, or copying this email.
> > If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender.
> >
> > Thank you
> > Timothy Alan Gorman
> > Petr-all Petroleum / ExpressMart
> > 6567 Kinne rd Dewitt ny 13214
> > Cell 315 415 8108
> > Office 315 446 0125 x 126
> >

> again, the v-amp seems pretty different... not just a direct pod copy.
> There dj mixers are mostly really, really horrible though. a copy of
> pioneer mixers that suck to start with. So a copy of a crap product.

    I've got a V-Amp Pro and I like it a lot. You have to look at what
you're going to use the gear for before you buy anything (Behringer or
otherwise). I've used Behringer unpowered mixers for live sound and
they're just fine (the onboard effects are pretty lame though). I see
no point in paying ridiculous prices for a Mackie mixer for live sound
when your speakers are only good from 60Hz to 16KHz if you're lucky. On
the other hand, for a studio, if you have the money, an expensive mixer
is worth it. As Mr. Natural used to say - at work or at play, get the
right tool for the job ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice