Re: [linux-audio-user] Audacity will not work if JACK is running.

From: Eric Dantan Rzewnicki <rzewnickie@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 03 2006 - 23:10:33 EET

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:27:16AM -0800, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> On 3 March 2006 at 20:20, Christoph Eckert <ce@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>
> > > Audacity is not JACK-enabled: you need to stop JACK running to be
> > > able to use Audacity. Audacity looks to access the soundcard but
> > > can't because JACK is using it when it is running.
> >
> > AFIR there have been rumors that Audacity CVS has JACK support?
>
> Or is it that Audacity uses PortAudio and JACK *can* have PortAudio
> support, depending on whether or not it's configured to be compiled
> in when JACK is built.

I may be mistaken, but I think it's the other way around: portaudio-v19
can talk to jack. I can't think of a reason you would want to run jack
on top of portaudio, even if it were possible.

portaudio-v18 does not have jack support, so audacity must be configured
with --with-portaudio=v19 if you want to use it with jack. Some fixes to
portaudio-v19's jack support don't appear to be in the copy distributed
with the audacity source code, so it's best to replace that dir with the
latest snapshot before building.

--
Eric Dantan Rzewnicki  |  Linux Audio Developer and Sysadmin
Technical Operations Division  |  Radio Free Asia