[linux-audio-user] Re: Smack ideas. What else do people want in a drum synth?

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 04 2006 - 02:06:28 EET

On 3/4/06, Esben Stien <b0ef@email-addr-hidden-stien.name> wrote:
> "Loki Davison" <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
> > Any ideas?
>
> The wave equation?;). Use of partial differential equations, definite
> integrals and Bessel functions. There are some algos you can use
> realtime, though they demand alot.
>
> Use of the Rabenstein algorithm:
>
> http://www.lnt.de/LNT_I/research/projects/soundsynthesis/index.php?lang=eng

I already have ;-) As part of my thesis i evaluated this algo. TFM's.
They are more impressive than some of the other methods but don't
produce satisfying results. Oh, and the polyphase filter bank version
has horrible, horrible multirate dsp maths.

> Maybe you can chop parts of it up spread them out on the
> network?;). Like realtime raytracing projects using 100 CPUs and more.
>
> Have you done any work on non realtime synthesis?.

Yeah. Though you should really try David Clark's stuff for
non-realtime things. It's GOOD. ;-)
 http://home.earthlink.net/~davidrclark/engulf_audio/index.html

 I'm very interested
> in this and I'm playing with octave and r now. I don't necessarily
> want to recreate a real drum. I'm looking for that dirty sound; the
> crushed cardboard box sound, the hit on trashcans and having control
> of all it's parameters;).

okay... dirty...