Re: [linux-audio-user] alsa with Delta1010: something missing?

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 04 2006 - 04:49:27 EET

On 3 March 2006 at 11:27, Ruben Lopez <rl1205@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> After googling and reading for several hours last nite, I was
> still unable to find a solution to this, so I decided to give
> up and just ask. I am trying to get Ardour, Jack and my Delta
> 1010 working on Ubuntu Dapper Flight 4, but I wonder if I am
> missing something from alsa. There is also an onboard C-Media
> sound chip. I can get sound from the C-Media chip, but the only
> time I hear a sound from the Delta card is when the Ubuntu login
> screen appears, and only after a reboot. XMMS will play thru
> the C-Media,

What does your /proc/asound/cards contain?

> but when I try to change to the Delta card, I get
> the "couldn't open audio" error message. The snd_ice1712 module
> is loaded. I tried disabling the C-Media chip in the BIOS, but
> Ubuntu still recognizes and uses it.

What are you doing to "try to change to the Delta card"?

> Here is what happens when I
> try to run alsamixer or alsa.conf as root:

Mine contains:

0 [AudioPCI ]: ENS1371 - Ensoniq AudioPCI
                     Ensoniq AudioPCI ENS1371 at 0xdc00, irq 18
1 [M1010 ]: ICE1712 - M Audio Delta 1010
                     M Audio Delta 1010 at 0xd480, irq 19

As you can see, I have two soundcards, having disabled the on-board
"card", which would have been a 3rd "card".

> # alsamixer
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1107:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.ctl.card'
> ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib confmisc.c:242:(snd_func_getenv) error evaluating default
> ALSA lib conf.c:3493:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_getenv returned error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib conf.c:3962:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
> ALSA lib control.c:817:(snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL default
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory
>
> # /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf
> bash: /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf: Permission denied

alsa.conf contains configuration data (hence the .conf) and isn't
ever intended to be run. Rather, it is read by ALSA.

What does your alsa.conf contain? I'll send you my 619 line file
off-list. I hope that's OK with you and the list. The above
line saying, "Unable to find definition 'defaults.ctl.card'"
makes me suspect that the cards were never configured for
some reason. Strangely, I never had to do that step. My
Delta-1010 was simply discovered and configured by my Mandrake
10.1 system. My alsa.conf file contains one line reading like
this: "defaults.ctl.card 0".

Keep at it. You'll be glad you did. Ardour with a Delta 1010 is
wonderful.

G'luck.....

--
Kevin