Re: [linux-audio-user] alsa with Delta1010: something missing?

From: Ruben Lopez <rl1205@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 09 2006 - 09:53:50 EET

Sorry for the delayed response:

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 18:49:27 -0800, Kevin Cosgrove was like:

> On 3 March 2006 at 11:27, Ruben Lopez <rl1205@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> After googling and reading for several hours last nite, I was
>> still unable to find a solution to this, so I decided to give up
>> and just ask. I am trying to get Ardour, Jack and my Delta 1010
>> working on Ubuntu Dapper Flight 4, but I wonder if I am missing
>> something from alsa. There is also an onboard C-Media sound chip.
>> I can get sound from the C-Media chip, but the only time I hear a
>> sound from the Delta card is when the Ubuntu login screen
>> appears, and only after a reboot. XMMS will play thru the C-Media,
>>

> What does your /proc/asound/cards contain?

It shows both of my Delta 1010s and the on-board C-Media card. One of the Delta cards and the C-Media card are sharing IRQ 5, and the C-Media card is the default sound card. I don't understand this, because I have disabled the C-Media card in the BIOS.

>> but when I try to change to the Delta card, I get the "couldn't
>> open audio" error message. The snd_ice1712 module is loaded. I
>> tried disabling the C-Media chip in the BIOS, but Ubuntu still
>> recognizes and uses it.
>
> What are you doing to "try to change to the Delta card"?

xmms -> Options -> Preferences -> Audio I/O Plugins/Output Plugin/Configure

>> Here is what happens when I
>> try to run alsamixer or alsa.conf as root:
>>
> What does your alsa.conf contain? I'll send you my 619 line file
> off-list. I hope that's OK with you and the list. The above line
> saying, "Unable to find definition 'defaults.ctl.card'" makes me
> suspect that the cards were never configured for some reason.
> Strangely, I never had to do that step. My Delta-1010 was simply
> discovered and configured by my Mandrake 10.1 system. My alsa.conf
> file contains one line reading like this: "defaults.ctl.card 0".

I got yours - thanks. Mine looked the same, but I could not resolve the issues I had on Ubuntu, so I switched to a bare-bones Debian install, only adding packages I needed from etch. Along the way I discovered part of the solution - I modified /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base, adding "options snd-cmipci index=2" to the end of the file. This prevents the C-Media card from being the default sound card. That, and running "modprobe snd-seq" pretty much solved my problems, and I am even getting lower latency numbers than with Demudi. Thanks for your help.

> Keep at it. You'll be glad you did. Ardour with a Delta 1010 is
> wonderful.

I know - I have been using two on my Windows mobile DAW for almost 2 years - I'm just trying to transition them over to Linux.

Ruben

Debian Etch 2.6.15-1
Ardour 0.99-3+b1
AMD Athlon XP 2000