Re: [linux-audio-user] Debian and friends

From: Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 17:10:25 EET

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 at 22:31 -0500, Lee A. Azzarello wrote:
> 1) What Debian communities for audio software packaging are you a part of?

Debian and Demudi.

> 2) How do you install new releases to your system?

Apt-get, for the most part. I run testing (etch).

> 3) How often do you build your own kernel for audio systems?

Once every version or so.

> 4) If you're not running real Debian, what made you change?

Demudi had more packages. But demudi is mostly real debian now so I've
come full circle.

> 5) If you are running real Debian, have you upgraded to etch or sid?

> 1) Not many. I'm looking through alioth and see some interesting projects but they have no notice of a package repo and the mailing lists are full of spam.
> 2) I usually don't. If I need to I'll try a backport, though this is failing with the version of jackd in sid. I don't know why.

I used to have issues with a split of packages - some wanting a newer
jack and some wanting an older one. Haven't had problems in at least a
couple of months, I don't think.

> 3) I try not to as much as I can. Kernel compiling is a waste of time unless absolutely necessary for device support. I find myself compiling kernels for sound more than any thing else (video, web services).

I find dealing with stock kernels to be a waste of time. It takes me
five minutes to answer the make oldconfig questions.

> 4) I'm running sarge, eagerly awaiting etch.

Stop waiting.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach