Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: Aligning audiofiles for different recorders.

From: Dan Easley <daneasley@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 19:15:21 EET

On 3/7/06, Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> 2006/3/7, R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>:
> > --- Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > > 2006/3/7, R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>:
> > That isn't necesarry, it's time consuming and time is
> > money. What I described with the television truck is
> > productions that have a requirement for good
> > production quality. We produce final product in the
> I just figured a single person cluttering around at the interviewees
> house struggling with wireless-set, compressor, mixer and recorder
> (which might be laptop + external interface) which all need power and
> a lot of cords to connect them and something doesn't work as it should
> and the interviewee has only limited time for you and you waste it by
> adjusting levels on three-to-four different devices...

in my experience (pub. tv, radio) you either a.) have a crew of at
least two, preferably three, and produce final product live to storage
media in-field, or b.) you have one to two guys in field and you put
it together in an editor back home. i prefer the latter, but most of
my colleagues prefer the former, for the reasons ron stated. i think
i just get better work done left alone in a dark, windowless room. a
second person in the field is always welcome and never affordable.

if putting it together in an editor later, i'd prefer people on
separate channels, to cover my butt relative dynamics wise. that
said, i usually (in tv interviews) put the lavalier mics through a
mixer into one channel of the recorder (a camcorder, in this case),
and the camera's mic (an omni) into the other channel, as a lousy
quality backup, in case either lav or the mixer craps out. our
equipment's old. this would be a two-person crew - one person
interviewing while the other runs camera and the mixer. of course, if
anybody sways around too much in their chair, it gets difficult to
keep them in frame.

more people in the field is always better - the chance of scaring your
subject with a big crew is far less important than having lots of
people to remember to bring batteries.

--
dan@email-addr-hidden dan@email-addr-hidden daneasley@email-addr-hidden
http://towndowner.com http://burntpossum.com