[linux-audio-user] Re: Aligning audiofiles for different recorders.

From: Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 07 2006 - 18:35:04 EET

2006/3/7, R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>:
> --- Arnold Krille <arnold.krille@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > 2006/3/7, R Parker <rtp405@email-addr-hidden>:
> > > two wireless lavs
> > > two channels of compression
> > > one very small mixer
> > > one small recording device
> > Why the mixer?
> > For preamping? That would be before the compressor.
> > For mixing? If the recorder has two channels its
> > better to record both
> > mics to separate channels and mix later.
> That isn't necesarry, it's time consuming and time is
> money. What I described with the television truck is
> productions that have a requirement for good
> production quality. We produce final product in the
> field as a rule. Our product always meets or exceeds
> the quality expectation. This is an enviroment where
> zero tolerance for error is the rule. If an error,
> best case can be a client that doesn't pay. The worst
> case is someone loses their job.

Okay, thanks for the explanation.

I just figured a single person cluttering around at the interviewees
house struggling with wireless-set, compressor, mixer and recorder
(which might be laptop + external interface) which all need power and
a lot of cords to connect them and something doesn't work as it should
and the interviewee has only limited time for you and you waste it by
adjusting levels on three-to-four different devices...

I think (*) the simpliest solution for on the field recording and
offline processing would be a single sphere-condensor-mic with a small
recorder. and doing compression etc. afterwards in the studio when you
don't have to deal with the excitement of being "on the job".

Of course, if you have several people to do the job you can have a
transportable rack with all the devices in it and one (or more)
technician only responsible for doing the audio perfectly.

Arnold, who would love to be the technician for such a professional
team with their equipment :-)

(*) Disclaimer: I don't earn money with audio-work...

--
visit http://dillenburg.dyndns.org/~arnold/
---