[linux-audio-user] hdsp pcmcia issues, again...

From: we are <gateswideopen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 08 2006 - 03:51:37 EET

hi crew, this issue is probably getting boring now but i've hit it.

i am trying to get my Multiface PCMCIA card to work under linux and
have tried many things but still a bit lost. i have it running on my
windows setup on the same computer(another partition) without a hitch.
for this reason i can't understnd why it would not function here in
linux.

i am running an Asus v6800v (v6v) laptop and would really appriciate
some advice on where to move next...

i have reached the point where alsa is set up

localhost tom # cat /proc/asound/cards

0 [DSP ]: H-DSP - Hammerfall DSP

RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface at 0x54000000, irq 17

1 [ICH6 ]: ICH4 - Intel ICH6

Intel ICH6 with ALC650F at 0xdffff800, irq 17

lspci | grep CardBus; lspci | grep RME

03:01.0 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev b3)

04:00.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME Hammerfall
DSP (rev 32)

uname -a

Linux localhost 2.6.14-gentoo-r5 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 17 05:35:27
EST 2006 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.73GHz GenuineIntel
GNU/Linux

i have tried using setpci latency scripts found on this thread http :
lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2004-April/000750.html

However, i must admit i'm a really lost when it comes to this level of
computing. so i'm stabbing in the dark and currently trying to learn
about what all this means.

script written by Daniel Ritz

> #!/bin/sh

> # set lateny timers for the bridges

> CB=`lspci | grep CardBus | cut -d" " -f1`

> for i in $CB; do

> echo "setting latency timer for CB $i"

> setpci -s $i 0x0d.b=0xff > /dev/null

> setpci -s $i 0x1b.b=0xff > /dev/null

> # for EnE only, others should ignore it

> setpci -s $i 0xc9.b=0x06 > /dev/null

> done

this script did something but i'm not entirely sure what? pd seems to
detect audio input but can't output,(anyone know if i need to compile
pd with rme support to make it work.)

after doing this i can get sound but its all distortorted and
horrible. it feels like on the right track here but i don't understand
the jargon or where to go next with it?

no problems loading hdsploader firmware

localhost tom # hdsploader

hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards

Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :

Card 0 : RME Hammerfall DSP at 0x54000000, irq 17

Upload firmware for card hw:0

Firmware uploaded for card hw:0

Card 1 : Intel ICH6 with ALC650F at 0xdffff800, irq 17

when trying to access change settings on hdspconf

tom@email-addr-hidden ~ $ hdspconf

HDSPConf 1.4 - Copyright (C) 2003 Thomas Charbonnel <thomas@email-addr-hidden>

This program comes WITH ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

HDSPConf is free software, see the file copying for details

Looking for HDSP cards :

Card 0 : RME Hammerfall DSP + Multiface at 0x54000000, irq 17

Multiface found !

Card 1 : Intel ICH6 with ALC650F at 0xdffff800, irq 17

1 Hammerfall DSP card found.

Error accessing ctl interface on card hw:0

i have read that some people have had problems when modules are set on
the same IRQ.

i have no idea if this is a problem as my RME cardbus, wireless
(ipw2200), onboard sound (AC97) and Yenta are all on IRQ 17. this is
the same in windows and my bios is pretty limiting when it comes to
changing this stuff around.

/proc/interrupts

CPU0

0: 700336 IO-APIC-edge timer

1: 6148 IO-APIC-edge i8042

9: 2885 IO-APIC-level acpi

12: 2177 IO-APIC-edge i8042

14: 4815 IO-APIC-edge ide0

16: 2 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd:usb5, ohci1394

17: 97673 IO-APIC-level yenta, hdsp, Intel ICH6, ipw2200

19: 0 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd:usb4, skge

20: 92955 IO-APIC-level ehci_hcd:usb1, uhci_hcd:usb2

21: 0 IO-APIC-level uhci_hcd:usb3

NMI: 0

LOC: 50568

ERR: 0

MIS: 0

Any suggetions links greatly appriciated!

thanks

tom.

also....

have already tried pci=noacpi and acpi=off and there was no difference
to the setups, irq and the like.

bit worried about upgrading my bios as the new asus bios for the v6 is
apparently noisy and has fan issues..... no good for my studio...