Re: [linux-audio-user] No audio nor MIDI via USB (PlanetCCRMA/FC3/TASCAM US-122)

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 01:27:12 EET

Oscar wrote:
> Dear fellow musicians,
>
> I'm trying to get my studio up and running with Rosegarden, but I can't get an
> audio or MIDI signal in Rosegarden.
> My distro is Fedora 3 with the Planet CCRMA kernel, and the latest versions
> of JACK and Rosegarden.
> I'm using a TASCAM US-122 Audio/MIDI-USB convertor.
>
> I've seen some earlier messages in this list about Rosegarden not showing up
> in the "Readable Clients / Output ports" tab in QJackCtl; that's the same
> with me, but not of the suggestions so far helped me.
>
> The TASCAM_X2Y shows up as readable and as writable client in MIDI, together
> with MIDI Through-0. Rosegarden only as Writable.
>
> In the audio tab, I've got alsa_pcm and rosegarden at both sides, but the only
> way I can get audio signal is by connecting the Tascam's Line-Out to my
> soundcard's line-in :-(

It all looks like you're running jackd against your so-called soundcard,
not your US-122. Take note of this fact, as is many often misunderstood:
the MIDI features on QjackCtl are due to ALSA sequencer, not to JACK.
JACK only deals with Audio, and that maps to one and only one soundcard
at any one time. (ALSA sequencer may agregate all MIDI interfaces, at
least the compliant ones, which almost are). If you start jackd for that
one PCM interface, that's what you gonna get pictured on the Audio
connections listings. No more no less.

Truth is, you have make sure to run jackd against the proper usx2y hw
interface. You have two choices:

1) hw:n,0 - regular ALSA backend interface; conservative choice.
2) hw:n,2 - one-of-a-kind ALSA/USX2Y (aka "rawusb") backend interface;
astonishing low-latency performance in the whole USB 1.1 realm, second
to nothing ;) only available iif you do modprobe snd-usb-usx2y nrpacks=1;

Check which PCM audio device interface (hw:n) have you set on QjackCtl
setup (the [>] button is your friend ;)

Cheers

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela