[linux-audio-user] Re: dj-ing hardware under Linux

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 02:40:44 EET

On 3/10/06, besnik@email-addr-hidden <besnik@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I apologize if this is not the right place to ask the question, but I'd like
> know a little more about any real experience with dj-ing hardware (like
> Hercules
> dj console, an announced product from Behringer, PCDJ console, some other
> product
> from Stanton).
> For instance, I can buy the Hercules' one for 116 Euros, but is there any
> chance
> to make that work under Linux?
>
> besnik

As far as djing hardware goes i'm very happy with my ecler hak 320,
technics sl1200's and ortofon elektro needles. As far a computer dj
stuff... why? What programs will you connect this up to? How? And what
the hell are you going to do with it? If you want djing hardware for
computer djing, try buying 2 griffin knobs
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate/ nice, metal,
actually feels like real equipment. Though really, YOU NEED A MIXER.
No, you can't use one in a program. No. You can't. End of story. No
mixer, in any software allows you to cue properly (listen to track not
currently going to master in headphones) or have nice smooth
eq/levels. To some up, YOU NEED A MIXER. I recommend a second hand
ecler, smac or concept model. You can get them quite cheap. Any
respectable brand second hand should be fine. I.e rodec, dataq, rane,
etc.

Djplay is the only mp3 dj prog i've found that is actually somewhat
useable. I used it (plus turntables + mixer) at a gig a 1 1/2 years
ago. http://djplay.sourceforge.net/ It supports herc mixer. Though
really, buy second hand cheap turntables or cdj's and a decent mixer.

Loki