Re: [linux-audio-user] Mac? Linux PC?

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 21:15:47 EET

On Sat March 11 2006 03:45, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> With Common Music, Lilypond, Pd, Csound, Supercollider, every
> programming languange you want, and with the ability, to run
> the occasional foreign software through Wine, Linux is a very
> good platform for Composers IMO.

And by "composers", of course, you mean "composers who are also
computer programmers". None of the people I know in real life
who compose music are going to be writing Csound, CM or
Supercollider code to do what they want. The programs they do
use, like Live, Fruityloops and Cakewalk, are still way beyond
any compositional tools we have available to us under Linux,
with all apologies to the Pd, SSM and Rosegarden guys.

I might use code-based compositional tools (well, the ones that
can be programmed without using Lisp-like languages, which are
evil and must be destroyed), but then, I'm a composer who's also
a computer programmer.

My advice to the parent poster is to get an Intel Mac (either a
Macbook or one of the new Mac Minis) unless one of your specific
goals as a musician is to create your music using free software.
That's one of my own goals, or I'd already have a Mac myself.

Even then, some popular compositional tools (like Fruityloops)
are Windows-only at this point. The musicians I know who work
professionally are about a 50/50 split between OSX and Windows.
I'm the only fool I know who's trying to do everything under
Linux.

Rob