Re: [linux-audio-user] Mac? Linux PC?

From: carmen <ix@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 21:33:13 EET

> Please, have anyone experienced both macOS and a linux
> PC as a composer and/or a live performer (I intend
> doing both with it) to give some clearer view?

i used //gs-OS from 1988 to 1992, MacOS from 1992 to 2001, winXP from 2001 to 2005, and linux from 2005-. i truly believe they were the best platforms for music during their respective timeframes (ok, Amiga/Atari was proabbly better than IIgs), due to things like having the 'critical mass' and exclusive development not occuring on other platforms

i'd say if you are only interested in commercial software, go XP. if you value commercial software foremost, and would like enough POSIX compatibility to dabble in some mostly-working ports of linux apps, go OSX. if you are into free software, check out freeBSD or Linux. chances are your scoring app or whatever you need from WinXP runs with WINE...

cheers