Re: [linux-audio-user] Making music a product (Was: Re: POLL: Marketing Free Music)

From: Rob <lau@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 11 2006 - 21:43:33 EET

On Sat March 11 2006 08:39, Carlo Capocasa wrote:
> So I'm wondering, the golden rule sayeth 'do onto others as
> you would have it done onto you', so it appears that music
> that is made to be traded for shelter and clothing ought to
> contain messages that let the receiver be able to produce more
> shelter and clothing.

I personally am not about to take part in any movement that makes
suggestions as to what the message of my music should be (if it
has lyrics at all.) The first few songs of mine that will
finally be releasable in the foreseeable future have themes like
"we exploit those less powerful than us because it feels good",
"I see you're trying to defeat me; go ahead, people are
watching" and "I'm trying to make you happy so bear with me
while I neglect you". Not exactly material for holding lighters
aloft and crying out power to the people. But I write it this
way because I like it this way, and I'll release it on the web
for nothing when it's done just as I've released it when it's
not done in the past, movement or no movement.

I don't really shoot for positive or negative sentiments in my
stuff, and I'd rather swear off making music for the rest of my
life than commit to including or not including someone else's
messages in it.

But go ahead, knock yourself out.

Rob