Re: [linux-audio-user] Mac? Linux PC?

From: Hans Fugal <hans@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 12 2006 - 07:05:37 EET

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 at 23:43 -0800, Renato Fabbri wrote:
> There is a big budget heading my way and it is clear
> that buying a new lapop will be nice. But I am kind of
> confused about the choices. Mac or a Linux PC? I can
> spent anything like ten thousand dollars on this.
> I am a composer, mainly of concert music.
> Unfortunatelly, I used a win PC for compatibility on
> some temporary jobs I was doing. Already mess a little
> with macs and just loved this start on linux for
> audio.
> Macs are traditionaly dedicated to multimidia, ok,
> everyone knows they have splendid softwares for audio
> and that it is stable, beatiful and smells like
> flowers. On the other hand linux, it is a dream to
> just install, run and get a 8ms latency just for
> start, everything free, very configurable, very sable,
> PD runs better and with more things, jack is
> outstanding, PCs are cheaper...

Your choice at this stage is really between windows and osx. You can
dual boot linux either way. I haven't researched it, but I believe
linux will run great on the macbooks in short order. My iBook G4 is the
best linux laptop I have ever laid eyes on. I also love OSX, but not for
audio. (that might change if I was serious and had a bunch of
proprietary apps, but I'm not and I don't).

Apple hardware is nice, too. The little things add up. So does the cost,
but you said it was a big budget. :-) Really, if it's a laptop for live
performance you probably want to consider second to whether you want to
dual boot Windows or OSX (or neither), what sound card, mobo quality,
etc. It would probably be a shame not to have dual cores now if you can
afford it.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach