Re: [linux-audio-user] Mac? Linux PC?

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Sun Mar 12 2006 - 07:28:08 EET

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 14:15 -0500, Rob wrote:
> And by "composers", of course, you mean "composers who are also
> computer programmers". None of the people I know in real life
> who compose music are going to be writing Csound, CM or
> Supercollider code to do what they want.

Hey, that's not fair - Linux is good for audio engineers too ;-)

Seriously, you are right, but I think it's only a matter of time before
Linux attracts a much wider developer interest - the key is to be able
to just boot any Linux CD or install any distro and get superior
performance OOTB.

I think it will start with people who just want to use their computer as
a live effects processor - this is still kind of a pain with Windows,
mostly because it's not reliable enough to use on stage!

I don't even think running proprietary VST plugins is essential, if I
can boot a CD, plug in my guitar and amp and get a nice auto wah, noise
gate and some filters with a decent GUI I am all set, I suspect there
are lots of people who aren't interested in sequencing or really even in
recording and just want to play their instrument and get a crazy
sound...

Lee