Re: [linux-audio-user] looking for a sampler

From: Frank Barknecht <fbar@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 13 2006 - 11:48:00 EET

Hallo,
Hector Centeno-Garcia hat gesagt: // Hector Centeno-Garcia wrote:

> I was wondering what are you people using as a sampler in Linux. It is a
> little bit sad that two of the very promising projects are stopped:
> Specimen and Chionic ( http://www.reduz.com.ar/chionic/ ). LinuxSampler
> is an excellent project but it seems that, for now, you are limited to
> using giga sampler format and what I'm looking for is a sampler were you
> can create your own patches from audio files and map them to a keyboard.
> AFAIK there are no ways in Linux for making giga sampler banks. I was
> checking LMMS and the sampler seems to be very limited as it doesn't
> allow you to map samples to keyboard regions... Is there any solution
> (beside Csound and PD) for creating your own sample patches with
> amplitude envelopes and keyboard mapping?

Fluidsynth with Swami may be what you're looking for. It is used to
create sample-based instruments in SF2/Soundfont-format, which you
then can use either on a Soundblaster hardware synth or in one of the
many libfluidsynth-based software synths like fluidsynth itself,
fluid~ in Pd, the fluidsynth opcodes in Csound etc. Swami is an editor
for creating the Soundfonts.

It's a very widespread and well documented format and can be made to
sound really great. Check for example the NSKit soundfonts, I used
the ns_piano in this track: http://footils.org/cms/show/49

Ciao