Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: dj-ing hardware under Linux

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 14 2006 - 07:08:40 EET

Lee A. Azzarello wrote:
> ----- Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Over here in Thailand many DJ's have final scratch and use 300kb mp3s
>> for an entire set, I hear it's happening more in Europe and the US
>> too.
>
> I would lean towards FLAC files for performance on large PA systems, though I don't know the CPU benchmarks for decoding FLAC versus extremely high bitrate mp3. I have a feeling decoding vorbis needs more CPU than either.

I have no objection to FLAC but most DJs I know use 300kbs mp3 and
that's quite a few...

>> Part of the specs require adding midi cc support to jackEQ.
>
> How do you feel about QAmix? It controls the sound card's hardware, therefore you get all the advantages of ALSA's hardware support. With a Delta 1010LT this gives lots of options. Obviously MIDI control on a software mixer like jackEQ would have even more possibilities but I wouldn't want to ignore the option of hardware mixer control via MIDI.

It's a good app but it's designed for hardware volume, etc controls
isn't it?

It's not really the same thing as mixing multiple streams from disc.
Although it is useful for multichannel playback/recording I'm sure.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com