[linux-audio-user] Re: hdsp pcmcia issues, again...Someone please explain this phenomenon?!!

From: we are <gateswideopen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 16 2006 - 06:18:52 EET

ok, so i'm still stuck and still hanging around bothering people with
this desparate issue, sorry..

just found this really really weird thing whilst fiddling with my HDSP
multiface(pcmcia) and really like some kind of explaination for is so
that it may help me and my hdsp issues. so i'm an avid PD user and i
was having a poke around trying some things out. i am getting a
horrible distortion with all sounds that output the card and i have
been testing with a sine tone in PD to troulbe shoot this.
i read in the rme FAQ's that it is suggested not to have the HDSP as
the primary and default card in windows as the HDSP gets its sync from
other devices. i assume that this is very different in linux and
moreso JACK although i don't exactly know how. anyway, i tried running
two intances of PD one with the IntelAC'97 (intel0x8) onboard card and
the other instance of PD with the hammerfall hardware. This was done
though ALSA and not JACK btw...
the really weird thing was that the sine tone played perfectally
through the multiface! whats up with that?!!
however, i have noticed(and this is the main reason fro getting onto
the HDSP) that the sine tone that the intel0x8 card plays is full of
clicks and DIO errors from pd. when i get the tone out of the
multiface using this technique, it is the exact same quality tone
clicks and all.

so what i can see is happening here is that for some reason, the sound
is routing through the intel0x8 card into and out the multiface. this
only happens with pd and all other applications function (or not)
normally ie, with a horrible distortion out the multiface.

could someone please explain to me what the **** is going on? and
could this phenomenon help my situation at all.

thanks
tom