Re: [linux-audio-user] Specimen and 64 bits software

From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 01:27:50 EET

On 3/17/06, cdr <ix@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> > Or possibly run Specimen in a 32-bit chroot. I have a complete
> > chroot'ed environment on my Gentoo 64-bit machine so that I can run
> > all the win32codec and Flash stuff necessary to exist on the web these
> > days. Much, much, much web content doesn't work with Linux 64-bit
> > machines but works great in the 32-bit chroot.
>
> you can get all web content with just a multilib glibc. emerge nspluginwrapper netscape-flash mplayer-bin mplayerplug-in

Interesting. This hasn't been the case for me at all. I'd be
interested in possibly trying it out but I don't find the
nspluginwrapper. Also I need a Java solution that works correctly at
one specific site. So far the blackdown ones don't. The sun-jre-bin
does but only emerges in the 32-bit environment again. mplayer-bin or
mplayer?

lightning ~ # emerge -pv nspluginwrapper netscape-flash mplayer-bin
mplayerplug-in

Calculating dependencies
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "nspluginwrapper".

lightning ~ # eix nsplugin
* kde-base/nsplugins
     Available versions: 3.4.1 ~3.4.2 3.4.3 ~3.5.0 ~3.5.1
     Installed: none
     Homepage: http://www.kde.org/

Found 1 matches
lightning ~ #

> mplayer is just an X window that gets overlaid into the browser, so you can symlink your 32bit mplayer to /usr/bin/mplayer and it will work fine in a 64bit browser. nspluginwrapper similarly does some kind of IPC pass-thru to a 32bit plugin.. personally i'd prefer the 'broken green puzzle piece' for flash but firefox is so bloated and slow that i have to run (32bit) opera where flash just works..

Yeah. I'm using Firefox but having more trouble with it crashing lately....

- Mark