Re: [linux-audio-user] Specimen and 64 bits software

From: cdr <ix@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 01:02:53 EET

> Or possibly run Specimen in a 32-bit chroot. I have a complete
> chroot'ed environment on my Gentoo 64-bit machine so that I can run
> all the win32codec and Flash stuff necessary to exist on the web these
> days. Much, much, much web content doesn't work with Linux 64-bit
> machines but works great in the 32-bit chroot.

you can get all web content with just a multilib glibc. emerge nspluginwrapper netscape-flash mplayer-bin mplayerplug-in

mplayer is just an X window that gets overlaid into the browser, so you can symlink your 32bit mplayer to /usr/bin/mplayer and it will work fine in a 64bit browser. nspluginwrapper similarly does some kind of IPC pass-thru to a 32bit plugin.. personally i'd prefer the 'broken green puzzle piece' for flash but firefox is so bloated and slow that i have to run (32bit) opera where flash just works..