[linux-audio-user] Re: transcribing software?

From: Phil Mendelsohn <phil@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 22:35:20 EET

> Hi!
>
> Alle 16:07, sabato 18 marzo 2006, Josh Lawrence ha scritto:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm in the process of trying to transcribe some solos off of a
>> Yellowjackets album. It's an up-tempo blues number, and some (well,
>> most) of the notes are going by way too fast. I would like to find
>> some software to slow the tune down so I can hear the lines a little
>> better.
>
> If I understand correctly, you have a track and you need to slow it down
> without altering the pitch. If so, you can use Audacity
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net and apply such effect to your track.

Here's an old school idea: I used a '56 Garrard turntable for
transcribing (Yellowjackets, "Samurai Samba" about 1985). Why? Because
it had 16 rpm as a speed, which drops you to almost exactly an octave
lower, but half the speed.

You can do this with a DAW by playing back at 1/2 sample rate, and it's
much easier to get the notes, plus the artifacts of pitchshifting are
non-existant. (You don't mind the info loss -- you're listening for
content, not sound quality.

When you go back to speed, everything seems to make so much more sense.

Cheers,
Phil M

(In reverse, this is how the Earth, Wind, & Fire horns were recorded -- an
octave low at 1/2 speed -- to make them seem so tight!)

--
Dept. of Mathematics, 342 Machray Hall
U. of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada R3T 2N2