Re: [linux-audio-user] Using > 1 audio device

From: cdr <ix@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 18 2006 - 23:18:33 EET

On Sat Mar 18, 2006 at 01:10:02PM -0800, david golightly wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Sorry if this seems like a bit of a daft question, but I'm happily
> running Ubuntu 2.6.15-4rt, alsa, jack etc. on my Acer Aspire laptop,
> and have had success using either the built-in laptop sound card or a
> USB-audio device (in my case Griffin iMic), either will work fine, but
> my question is, is there some way, using Alsa/Jack, to use both at the
> same time? As far as I can tell, having read through the docs on alsa
> & jack, it's either/or, but I'm sure I'm not the first to try this...
> having 2 separate stereo audio outs would be phenomenal, if it works!

unless you have identical cards or a house clock driving them, you will need to resample to keep them in sync. jack_diplomat does this with jackd's running at different hardware samplerates (say 44117 and 43986). there might be similar magic you can do via asoundrc.. but afaik its resampling features were really designed for lke 96000->44100, more than 44117->44100, so might not solve the unique clocks proplem...