Re: [linux-audio-user] Partitioning for audio

From: Jan Depner <eviltwin69@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 10:13:59 EET

On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 01:03 -0600, Josh Lawrence wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm about to build a machine strictly for recording audio. I've
> looked around the web for suggestions on how to partition the disks,
> and have found a lot of useful information. At the risk of beating a
> dead horse, I would like to get some suggestions from this list as to
> how you partition your disks.

    I try to keep things as simple as possible. Normally I partition
the OS drive with 2GB swap, 100MB /boot, and the rest in the /
partition. Make one partition for the second drive. Always record to
the second drive. You can move audio data from the second drive to the
OS drive after recording. You don't want to be recording to the OS
drive.

> A little background - recording will be simple, nothing major, and
> mostly for my own enjoyment. It is doubtful that any of it will see
> the light of day. Mastering will be minimal. The machine will have
> two hard disks, so I will need to spread out the work between the two.
> Finally, I'll be running Ubuntu. Not sure what audio interface yet,
> though.

    Ardour for recording, JAMin for mastering - of course I may be a bit
biased ;-)

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice