Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: [Alsa-user] VxPocket and hotplug - need help getting it working

From: Asbjørn Sæbø <asbjs@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 22:34:54 EET

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:10:23PM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 11:49 +0100, Asbjørn Sæbø wrote:
> > I do not know what a suitable solution might be. Paid-for support
> > could
> > be an alternative. A vendor selling "certified" hardware and
> > combinations of hardware might be another. I know that I have spent
> > more than a full week trying to solve my problem now (and more before
> > that), and would probably be willing to pay something for qualified
> > help.
> >
> > The fact still remains, though, that the deepest insight into alsa is
> > found among the developers. So, for the hardest problems, the
> > developers would probably still have to be involved. And there we
> > are
> > again.
> >

> What error does "vxloader" give when trying to load the firmware?

At the moment, I don't even have the vxloader installed (I am converting
to more recent kernel and (hopefully) more recent alsa.
But the message was something like "No vx-compatible cards found".

> It's possible that this driver has bitrotted - the only other reference
> I see to it on LAU before your message is a similar issue in 2004.

I wouldn't be surprised if that message also was from me. I have had a
couple of tries at this card on this laptop before, with no luck.

> Does anyone out there have one of these working with recent ALSA
> versions?

As I mentioned somewhere, I got a response from one running 1.0.3...

> Do you have a machine with a really old distro on it you can test?

I have a spare partition I could install something old on, if time
permits. (I think I have RedHat 4.2 in the basement somewhere ;-)

I have just installed Fedora Core 5 on this partition, but I have some
testing left to do, to see whether that distribution fixes my card.

Asbjørn