Re: [linux-audio-user] Poor sound quality with some music

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 10:13:30 EET

On Wed, 22 Mar, 2006 at 09:38PM +0100, Martin Kuball spake thus:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using onboard sound with NVidia CK804 chip with the snd_intel8x0
> alsa driver and have the problem that some of my music sounds really
> bad when played.
>
> Let me give an example. I have a cd with a song I like. It sounds good
> when played directly from the CD via the internal audio connector.
> Now I rip the song with cdparanoia to a wav file. When I play this
> file it sounds realy bad. I don't know how to describe it but I think
> it's some kind of droning. When I play the file using my usb audio
> device it's sounds fine.
>
> To a certain extent I have this bad quality with a lot of my music
> files. But what I notices is that I have never had this with sound in
> a video. Now I wonder if this might be some problem with music having
> (normally) 44100 Hz sample rate and video sound 48000 Hz. Is this
> possible? Maybe even a known problem?

Sample rate copnversion shouldn't be the problem - the software you're
playing it with should do all this for you.

What it could be is volumes. Admittedly "droning" doesn't sound like
a clipping problem, but what you hear as droning, I might describe
differently.

Anyway, fire up alsamixer and start playing with your master and PCM
volumes. If it doesn't change anything, then at least it's another
thing off the list of possible causes.

James

> Martin

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)