[linux-audio-user] Can't get rid of xruns

From: Dominic Sacré <dominic.sacre@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 29 2006 - 10:57:50 EEST

Hi,

I'm trying to set up my Ubuntu Dapper system to work reliably with
reasonably low latency, but I'm unable to really eliminate xruns. It works
quite well most of the time, but sooner or later I'll inevitably get
xruns, usually when starting/closing jack-apps, or sometimes when
starting/stopping playback.

My machine is an Athlon XP 3000+, with VIA chipset and 2 SATA disks.
The sound card is an M-Audio Audiophile 2496, and my aim would be to run
jack at 5.8ms latency (-r44100 -p128 -n2) or less.

I already tried pretty much everything I could thinks of, that is:

- Installed a realtime kernel (currently 2.6.16.1-rt11)
- Used the nv display driver instead of nvidia
- Switched PCI slots around so that the Audiophile doesn't share an IRQ
with the graphics card (an IRQ solely for the Audiophile doesn't seem
possible, it now shares an IRQ with a SBlive)
- Changed filesystems from reiserfs to ext3 (/) and xfs (/home)

I'm running jack at rtprio 70, and also set the sound card IRQ's priority
to 99, but none of that seems to make a difference.

I have latency tracing enabled, but I can't make head or tail of it, to me
it looks like the xruns occur at random...

Now I'm at a loss. What else can I do?

Thanks,
    Dominic