Re: [linux-audio-user] regarding the 2nd Book Of Linux Music & Sound

From: <james@email-addr-hidden-dot-dat.net>
Date: Fri Mar 31 2006 - 17:19:26 EEST

On Fri, 31 Mar, 2006 at 07:22AM -0500, Dave Phillips spake thus:
> Greetings:
>
> First, thank you to everyone who responded to my original query. I now
> have a much better idea how I want to do this project.
>
> I definitely want to involve members of this group. Some of you have
> offered to take on particular chapters, and that seems to me the best
> approach. I believe we can complete the work in record time by spreading
> the work around. I'll speak with my publisher about this plan. If he
> approves this approach we'll start work immediately.
>
> Some respondents wrote to me off-list and have offered to assist. I'll
> be in touch with you all after talking with Bill Pollock. If Bill gives
> us a green light I'll start organizing the distribution of work
> immediately. I'll communicate directly with you regarding style
> preferences, format requirements, deadlines, etc. I must emphasize that
> this project is commercial work, i.e., we'll have editors at the
> publishing house and there will be demands that certain dates be met.
> Please, only take on the work if you're sure you can work under those
> conditions.
>
> If the community approach is accepted I'll post a list of topics and
> areas that need attention. I have a large amount of unedited/incomplete
> material that I'm willing to offer as starting points.
>
> I've been thinking about the royalties issue. I'm far from a final plan,
> but I think it might be possible to route some (all?) of the royalties
> to the Linux Audio Consortium. The community can then decide how to use
> it. I can't leave this issue vague, my publisher will need to know who
> is in charge of accounts receivable, and I can't simply accept
> contributions from the community and not reimburse those contributors.
> How that reimbursement takes place can be left to the individual
> contributors, or we may decide to simply throw everything in one
> direction (e.g. linuxaudio.org).

Good move. Make sure to keep your own share, though. Contributors
will see it as giving to two good causes: the first is the book
itself, which you should be reimbersed for as primary author and
bearer of most of the effort, and the second is any project that can
benefit from contributors' shares of sales.

> Btw, I especially appreciate the community's response re: the 2.4 kernel
> series. It is laid to rest, there will be coverage only from kernel 2.6
> upwards. Thank goodness.
>
> No Starch has already accepted my outline for the project. At some point
> I'll post that outline on the Web for the community to consider.
> However, please bear in mind that there will be limitations of space and
> scope. I'm unlikely to be able to cover games, consumer devices, or
> telephony. Alas, material for a programmer's guide will probably not be
> accepted. IMO that really requires a separate book now. A developer's
> guide to ALSA and JACK is certainly timely and needed, but I'm not the
> one to write that book.

I agree, but I'm not the man for this one either.

> Again, if you're interested in writing for this project please contact
> me off-list. Specifiy your area of interest and we'll go from there.
>
> Best regards,
>
> dp

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)