[linux-audio-user] Regarding the file sharing site

From: Dana Olson <dana@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 06 2006 - 07:01:44 EEST

I'm going to be working on a site with a couple other people to be a
central website for us to swap music files (not songs, just samples,
presets, patches, etc).

Here is the current list of filetypes that I want to support on this
site, but I am asking for you to review it, as I likely missed many
types of files we want to support:

- Audio Samples (*.wav, *.ogg, *.mp3, *.au, *.aiff)
- Gigasampler Banks (*.gig)
- SoundFonts (*.sf2)
- MIDI Samples (*.mid, *.smf)
- Seq24 Loops (*.s24)
- JSynthLib Patches (*.patchlib)
- SysEx Files (*.syx)
- Hydrogen Kits and Beats (*.h2drumkit, *.h2song)
- ZynAddSubFX Settings (*.xiz, *.xmz, *.xpz)
- JAMin Templates (*.jam)
- QjackCtl Patchbays (*.xml)
- JACK-Rack Racks (*.rack)
- AlsaModularSynth Patches (*.ams)
- amSynth Patches (*.amSynthPreset)
- QMidiArp Arpeggios (*.qma)
- QMidiRoute Routes (*.qmr)
- Om Patches (*.om)
- Pd Patches (*.pd, *.pat)

I know that the usefulness may be questionable for some of these, but I
don't want to exclude something just because a few people won't use it.
But if, for example, everyone agrees that QjackCtl or JAMin files are
useless to share, then we can remove them.

Also, my goal is that all files uploaded can be used for any purpose,
short of someone collecting them and selling them... So you could take
any samples or loops I upload and use them in any way you like, to
create songs of your own for your new hit album, or to modify them and
remix them and send them back to the site for everyone else to share. Is
there anyone who disagrees with such a disclaimer/license for the site
content? Obviously you can't upload work that someone else did under a
restricted license, so we won't see the Titanic SoundFont uploaded or
something like that.

Is there any particular feature you would want on the site that we might
not have already though of? We do not want articles posted there, nor a
wiki, or anything like that. This will be strictly a file-swap site, but
features to make it funner/easier/better/unique would be welcome
suggestions (no promises that we can or will implement anything).

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Feel free to email me off-list if
you or others on the list prefer. I don't mind. :)

Also, if anyone is interested in being staff on the site, please let me
know. Basically, at this time, the only thing a staff member will do is
check uploads and flag anything that is malicious so it is hidden. If
you don't want to commit to it, then don't volunteer. We will do our
best to filter out that kind of crud without human intervention, but it
may be necessary anyhow.

Dana