[linux-audio-user] Re: Motherboard recommendations

From: Loki Davison <loki.davison@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 09 2006 - 05:22:11 EEST

On 4/9/06, Thomas Ilnseher <illth@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> BJaY wrote:
> > I've just managed to lay my hands on enough cash to upgrade to a decent
> > computer for audio, and I haven't got a clue as to which motherboard to go
> > for. I'm thinking of AMD64 3700+1Gig RAM (I use big sound fonts). I'm a
> > little confused by the motherboard blurb, there seem to be loads of boards
> > with similar specs but very different prices. If anyone could help

Well, i have an ati chipset mobo (RS480) for my amd64 939 3000 and
it's horrible. Totally unreliable piece of crap, this seems to be the
same with any os. They recommend using low performance ram to increase
stability... so steer as far away from ati as physically possible. It
might be an issue with airflow, but as the temp monitoring doesn't
work at all under linux i can't really tell.

I am also looking for another mobo of the crashing much less type.
Does anyone have a recommendation i.e model number of a known working
well for low latency board? What do people on here with amd64 use?
Asus nvidia based boards are easy to get here, though other brands
seem less common. Need pci-e and sata.

Loki