Re: Skype and LAU (Was: Re: [linux-audio-user] Skype + emu10k1)

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 14 2006 - 04:49:00 EEST

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Lee Revell hat gesagt: // Lee Revell wrote:
>

>>Is Skype for Linux really such a piece of crap, that it won't work with
>>one of the best supported devices?
>

> Sorry if my next words sound grumpy, it's not meant to be that grumpy
> and of course it's not meant against you personally at all, rather to
> start a discussion on the general topic "Skype and LAU":
>
> In my opinion Skype questions are off-topic on this list. Any Skpe
> questions should go directly to the Skype support team. The Skype
> folks have made it clear that they don't want to deal with open source
> developers and they won't support open standards, instead they promote
> their proprietary system. I would prefer it if this mailing list would
> not become a Skype support forum.

Interesting. Skype does work under Linux and it does use Audio. However
so do a lot of other applications that we don't generally discuss. The
fact that Skype doesn't support open standards is a problem.
Incidentally I am uninstalling it as I type because it just annoys me.
Can't say I'm really that bothered either way, although it has to be
said, I'm having trouble keeping up with this list these days due to the
sheer volume of traffic.

cheers,

tim hall