[linux-audio-user] Re: LKML: Time to remove LSM

From: vlad <vla@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 14:27:03 EEST

> I'm posting this just as a perspective ...
>
> I would rather use *BSD.
>
> for 2 reasons:
> reason 1: (not really relevant here)
> I like unix at its roots, it just makes me feel good.
>
> reason 2: (totally effin relevant)
> The BSDs don't have this fractured user base.
> Sure you can switch between Net* Open* and Free* (Dragon* too),
> but you do that for big reasons *UP-FRONT*.
>
> Its frustrating how fractured linux has become.
> (But, maybe it always was.)
> Switching distros *IS* a solution.
> Switching distros *IS* a solution that should only
> happen *ONCE* because your switching from a bad distro.
>
> unix/linux is beautiful (in one sense, not all) because it lasts.
> You can come back to a system that been sitting in a closet
> (or sitting at a colo, doing its job) *YEARS* later, and
> there it is. The computer. Working. Working well.
> That's really nice.
>
> I use linux because of ALSA, period.
>
> We need to realize that an audio workstation is not a "server".
> It is obvious that realtime takes precedence over security in
> "audio land". (I don't mean that in a bad way at all.)
>
> BUT, linux is still a server OS too. Its kind of everything.
>
> uhmm, i don't remember what my point was, but i wrote too much
> to delete it....
>
> --
> paul w

hello,

i don't think this should be a discussion about changing the dists!!!
moving to another distribution should be the last thing to do!
and for better reasons then only a package that is newer or "better"
or "easier" to handle.
this is nonsense!
btw, the libpam-modules package w/ rlimits is also in DeMuDi
(from "http://demudi.agnula.org/images/1.2.1/README.PACKAGES":
libpam-modules 0.76-22)
and debian sarge and the current ubuntu (both also version 0.76-22).

vlad