Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: distorting Linuxsampler

From: Nick Copeland <nickycopeland@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 23:00:54 EEST

I have worked for diverse unix and networking companies for about 20 years
now, I know that sounds like I am going to give an OldHat comment, but the
reputation of what is now GPL software has changed dramatically.

I first worked with the 0.99 Linux kernel, and, at the time, people in the
industry had the opinion that Public Domain (GPL/Whatever) software was
buggy, rather full of holes and not really ready for commercial or
professional use. If you speak to the same people now that has totally
changed, public domain software is respected far ahead of most commercially
available applications, whether that is in audio, security, web services,
etc. The feeling that software development companies have a single goal
which is to make money is widely understood, whilst that open source
developers want products that work and fit requirements has only now become
respected. I actually deal with multibillion dollar companies who want and
prefer open source applications, the whole community of developers make sure
that these applications do what they say on the tin.

This leaves a big hole in the GPL, since software developers are now making
products that the industry wants, and making it available for free. A lot of
people are using this to their advantage, taking 'public domain' software
private, making money, and not re-releasing their improvements back to the
community.

What I want to say is the migration of Linux Sampler from GPL to any other
form of license is just a recognition of a massive shift in the market, and
perhaps something that GPL needs to come to terms with.