Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: distorting Linuxsampler

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 19 2006 - 23:33:49 EEST

Nick Copeland wrote:

> What I want to say is the migration of Linux Sampler from GPL to any
> other form of license is just a recognition of a massive shift in the
> market, and perhaps something that GPL needs to come to terms with.

It's a good point that you raise and I know Mark is well aware of this
given his work history ;)

I think the people who wrote the GPL had a pretty fair idea of the
multinational corporate environment when they wrote the License.

I find it strange that Mark is willing to use the other completely
proprietry apps but not LS simply because they have a small clause in
their license which demands commercial companies get their permission
before embedding the code.

It has nothing to do with the end user :?

But it also seems strange that they haven't been taken to task for
altering the GPL. That is definitely illegal AFAIK. Doesn't the BSD
license cover their needs?

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.