Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: distorting Linuxsampler

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 05:28:38 EEST

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 23:10, Dave Phillips was like:
> "The LinuxSampler library (liblinuxsampler) and its applications are
> distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (see
> COPYING file), but with the EXCEPTION that they may NOT be used in
> COMMERCIAL software or hardware products without prior written
> authorization by the authors."

The way Debian types leap on license problems can seem rather harsh sometimes.
Sometimes, as with the Portaudio license, this can get stupidly picky. In
this case the LS developers are making it clear that they do not want to be
distributed by Debian. DFSG is very clear on this point. I think it is a
shame, but it is their software and they are entitled to license it exactly
how they choose. It does mean that LinuxSampler will never become the
flagship application that its name implies. Yeah, MO, sure.

--
cheers,
tim hall