Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: distorting Linuxsampler

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 20 2006 - 16:45:28 EEST

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 03:28 +0100, tim hall wrote:
> this case the LS developers are making it clear that they do not want to be
> distributed by Debian. DFSG is very clear on this point. I think it is a
> shame, but it is their software and they are entitled to license it exactly
> how they choose. It does mean that LinuxSampler will never become the
> flagship application that its name implies. Yeah, MO, sure.

i heard an interesting comment from mike shaver of the firefox/mozilla
project last year. he wondered openly why on earth they (mozilla.org)
would actually want their software distributed by third parties. third
parties who compile and package in ways beyond their control.

this assumption that inclusion in a distro is the only way to get
software to linux users needs careful examination.