Re: [linux-audio-user] Doing Drums

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 22:10:22 EEST

Esben Stien wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> writes:
>
>> it does allow for seperation of interfaces and tasks.
>
> What do you mean?. You using any other interfaces?

Sure. Ardour, jack-rack, hydrogen, rosegarden, om.

>> Why embed a drum sequencer if you can just send all your data via
>> jack?
>
> Embed what in what?. Send data via JACK?

Maybe embed is the wrong term. But I was imagining you wanted to use the
Hydrogen engine from other GUI applications. Probably took it too far.

> I don't think we communicate;). The separation of the UI and the core
> means that the core is implemented as a daemon and the UI, in this
> case the hydrogen GUI you use, is just a interface to operate the
> daemon. You would then be able to operate the hydrogen daemon in many
> interesting ways.

Ok. I thought you were suggesting he create a brand new daemon. It makes
sense to seperate Hydrogen GUI from Hydrogen Core. But it also makes
sense to code the support for the sound formats he wants to use.
Afterall that is most important to him. We established that Hydrogen
supports all the other features he wanted IIRC.

> In any case, this has nothing to do with JACK.

It does if you are going to use Hydrogen engine in another GUI app.
However Hydrogen already supports midi so I'm interested in why you
would need to have a daemon? Are you planning to build an embedded Linux
  Drum Sequencer using the Hydrogen engine?

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
http://www.boosthardware.com