Re: [linux-audio-user] How can PC + external amps become whole house audio system ?

From: carmen <ix@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 29 2006 - 19:03:01 EEST

On Sat Apr 29, 2006 at 05:58:40 +0200, Robert Rozman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm designing integrated home automation/entertainment system based on Linux
> and other open source apps. I have several possible sound sources (like
> Festival as speech synthesis, music players, VOIP or
> ordinary telephony applications, intercom) and several sound destinations
> (rooms in my house - can be either remote desktop running some network audio
> client or separate output on multichannel local audio card). Now I'd like to
> implement
> 'virtual' audio router/mixer in software that can be dynamically controlled
> from other program language (Perl is preffered in my case). I'd need to
> combine several audio sources to each sound destination (like big software
> switching/mixing/routing black box), dynamically change volumes, add/remove
> chains etc...

you might want to check out NMM. it sounds more or like what you are talking about. http://www.networkmultimedia.org
another option would be dynamically patching NetJack via OSC, combined with service discovery

in either case, youre proably going to have to do various /dev/dsp hijack tricks etc until/unless all the apps you use support NMM or JACK natively..