RE: [linux-audio-user] Mastering without mastering

From: BJaY <BJaY@email-addr-hidden-mail.net>
Date: Mon May 01 2006 - 12:03:57 EEST

I don't think I explained it very well. The idea is to have no mastering (or
minimal mastering - after this process) but to create a balanced mix by
changing the arrangement. Each track is fed into the program on a separate
channel, and analysed for envelope and spectral characteristics. A
comparison is then made to instruments in the Protégé database to find ones
with spectral characteristics that when combined will create a more balanced
(or just different) mix.

People often try many different patches for there recorded midi material
during mixing and this is part of the creative process - seeing what fits.
This would be an extension of that, with the program making multiple
suggestions as to what it thinks might sound good. It would also very likely
discover arrangements that would not occur to the user (maybe because they
usually work in a particular genre).

I get the feeling that my first post was interpreted as an automated
mastering solution and replies were made with that interpretation. If this
isn't a new idea could anyone point me to info on previous attempts.

The 'magic button' also has validity in my opinion because it is potentially
a source of inspiration (which in my experience is a fickle beast). On
numerous occasions I've taken home a stomp box and been inspired by it's
sound, same here - it offers creative possibilities which can be adopted or
rejected as the artist desires.

Thanks very much for the pointers to the jamin presets, I'm off to try them
out.