Re: [linux-audio-user] Audio Kanotix

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 12:45:39 EEST

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 14:45:52 -0700 (PDT)
Renato Fabbri <renatoftato@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hardware: P4 3.6 HT, 1G Ram, M-audio Delta 66. It is a
> Dell computer, a GX280.
>
> Problems:
>
> 1- Kmenu->Control Center->Sound & Multimedia->Sound
> System
>
> There is a jack option there, but, when I start it, I
> see a window:
>
> "Sound server informational message:
> Error while initializing the sound driver:
> Couldn&#180;t connect to jackd
> The sound server will continue using the null output
> device"

Ok, seems either

a] jack is not installed properly
b] it is run with options that won't work on your box
c] kde sux ;)

what happens if you do this from the console:

jackd -d alsa -p 512

pkg-config jack --cflags --libs

> 2-Making a /home/ref/jack-audio-connection-kit and
> ./configure builds with no alsa support and with oss
> support. (with alsa loaded or oss turned loaded)

I don't fully understand what you say, but:

Do you have the ALSA development files installed? In pretty much all
distros there's a distinction between just a library package and a
corresponding development packages which you need when you want to
compile stuff against that lib.

> 3-When Pd 0.38.4-extended is installed, the pd command
> issues:
> "pd: error while loading shared libraries:
> libjack0.80.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory

Did you install jack by hand or from a package?

> 4- There is no "alsa" or "alsasound" file to do the
> usual:
> ..path/alsa stop
> ..path/alsa start
> (commonly at /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsa)
> There is, though, a /etc/init.d/alsa that accepts
> "unload, reload, resolve" commands.

Hmm, not sure about this one.

> 5- While borwsing menus like Kmenu, we hear sound
> hickups.

This can have soooooooooooooo many reasons. Try usign a bigger
buffersize. I also think i saw that artsd can run with reltime priv,
too. Check the kontrol center for that. Keep in mind you probably need
rtlimits setup correctly or the realtime lsm.

Flo

--
Palimm Palimm!
http://tapas.affenbande.org