Re: [linux-audio-user] Smack 0.3 Released.

From: Erik de Castro Lopo <mle+la@email-addr-hidden-nerd.com>
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 13:29:15 EEST

tim hall wrote:

> Please don't take this as a massive flame or anything, it is merely intended
> as feedback.

Please don't take this as massive flame, but this is nuts.

> I have not tried your application yet, largely I realise because
> I find the name you have chosen for the project utterly repellant.

You're from the UK, so I guess english is your main language. From:

    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=smack

Smack :

   - a blow from a flat object
   - the taste experience when a savoury condiment is taken into the mouth
   - a sailing ship (usually rigged like a sloop or cutter)
   - street names for heroin [syn: big H, hell dust, nose drops, thunder]
   - an enthusiastic kiss [syn: smooch]
   - the act of smacking something; a blow delivered with an open hand
   - deliver a hard blow to
   - have an element suggestive (of something)
   - have a distinctive or characteristic taste
   - kiss lightly
   - eat noisily by smacking one's lips

Yes, the heroin thing is there, but who cares. I think that using the
meaning "deliver a hard blow to" makes smack is a very appropriate name
for a drum synth.

> The word
> has no positive connotations for me at all.

Really? Not even "deliver a hard blow to"?

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo
"These are the finest moments in (post)modern life, when satire is completly
indistinguishable from reality... I usually have to rely on the presidential
elections for such dada." -- frenomulax on Jesux a christian Linux distro.