Re: [linux-audio-user] Smack 0.3 Released.

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 15:56:07 EEST

On Wednesday 03 May 2006 15:53, Rob was like:
> On Wed May 3 2006 06:13, tim hall wrote:
> > Compare the phrases "Now I'm going to teach you how to use a
> > GIMP mask" and "Those drums would sound better on smack". I'm
> > being deliberately ironic here, but my serious point is how do
> > they make you feel?
>
> I had a lover who was a heroin addict and contracted HIV through
> shared needles and later died.  (No, I'm not trolling or being
> facetious; I just don't have time to write how it affected me or
> how my life changed.)  Nonetheless, "smack" still means "the
> sound something makes when you hit it" to me, and not "street
> term for heroin."
>
> I think it's a fine name.  (I don't feel that way about the
> Gimp.)  Maybe if we get some other people whose lives have been
> impacted by heroin to chime in, the question will be settled
> quickly one way or the other.

OK, so I'm out on a limb here. It's just that the only colloquial usage of the
word 'smack' round these parts is drug abuse and violence. Perhaps I've just
seen too much of both. I know full well what GIMP means, but I find it mildly
amusing, perhaps because I'm naive when it comes to s&m. It is entirely up to
the developer what they call their software, I'm not going to get all
righteous about it, because that _would_ be nuts. However it is an issue that
I feel strongly enough about to be moved to post something. Mostly I wanted
to check that you were aware of colloquial usage. I understand that the
Rolls-Royce Silver Mist was renamed because it didn't sound so good in
German. Now I know that the issue has been considered I will keep my peace.

Thanks for your passionate replies!-)

--
cheers,
tim hall