Re: [linux-audio-user] Live CD's you can dock

From: Bert Visser <bourdon@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 00:31:43 EEST

Esa Linna schreef:

>>> Any tips - what files should I copy ?
>>>

>> The ones I have seen come with a program to do the hard disk
>> installation for you. I don't remember what it's called though.
>>
> I am not talking about program that installs it in the hard disk.
> Docking:
>
> "Dyne:bolic solves the problem of istallation in a very simple way:
> there is no installation! you simply copy a directory and this is
> called "docking".
> In dyne:bolic this only consists of copying one directory from the CD
> to the harddisk, you don't need to change anything of your partition,
> just copy a directory in it: drag the dyne/ folder from the CD on the
> icon of your harddisk, that's it!
> And of course, when you want to uninstall the dock is as easy: just
> delete the /dyne directory in your harddisk!"
>
> http://dynebolic.org/manual/dynebolic-x140.en.html
> http://lab.dyne.org/Docking
>
> This is extremely handy, and I am a little paranoid with hard disk
> install programs since I don't want to back up my data too often...

Musix GNU+Linux has the option to copy the entire CD to the harddisk
(like all knoppix derivates; cheatcode: tohd=/dev/hda1 for example) and
boot from there; no need to install anything but to boot (just the
initial part) you will need the CD (with cheatcode: fromhd=/dev/hda1 or
whatever). I use a separate partition (on my machine /dev/hdb5) for this
and it works great. All the details are on the CD under Boot options.

regards,
Bert