Re: [linux-audio-user] Smack 0.3 Released.

From: tim hall <tech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 11:58:04 EEST

On Thursday 04 May 2006 19:54, Rob was like:
> Where I'm sitting, "gimp" is an insulting term for a handicapped
> person,

I didn't know that.

> and only became a BDSM related term after the movie Pulp
> Fiction had a character by that name.

I'm sure the bdsm context has been around longer than that.

> It'd be like calling a
> KDE image editor "kike".  (Don't know if that's a naughty word
> over there too, but it is here.)

Naughty? Huh? The word Kike is downright offensive in any context.

> I think no matter what collection of vowels and consonants you
> put together, sooner or later it's going to upset somebody.

My original point was not about whether there was anything naughty or
offensive about the word 'smack'. I don't do moral outrage generally. I was
merely pointing out that it had put me off trying out some possibly excellent
software because of its connotations. <irony>OK, I'll just call my next
album 'Crap songs I wrote when I was depressed' if it doesn't matter.</irony>

--
cheers,
tim hall