RE: [linux-audio-user] "KarmaPod" page back online...

From: Lee Revell <rlrevell@email-addr-hidden-job.com>
Date: Fri May 05 2006 - 21:33:51 EEST

On Thu, 2006-05-04 at 00:39 +0100, BJaY wrote:
> Can I just ask about the raid set up, I recently put a box together
> and "The
> man in the shop" said that most motherboards that say they do raid
> arn't
> doing proper raid, some part of it is being done in software, with an
> associated CPU overhead. Can somone tell me if this is correct ?

Yep, it's commonly referred to as "fakeraid", you can read the LKML
archives for details. Vendors submit kernel drivers for this crap all
the time, they are of course mocked and their code rejected with some
variation of "why do you want to bloat the kernel to reimplement Linux
software raid" ;-)

Some of the vendors ship closed source fakeraid drivers for the truly
gullible.

Lee