[linux-audio-user] Firewire devices and Linux

From: Yo'av Moshe <bjesus@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 16:36:06 EEST

Hello!
Me and some of my friends are going to live together for a while in a
couple of months. One friend of mine is a musician, and he wants to be
be able to record his tunes in our new place. I'm going to bring my PC
with me, so we thought he'd buy some recording device and we'll
connect it to my computer and will share it.

I'm running Linux of course, and he got no problem with it, but after
looking for a recording device for a while, it seems like Linux
doesn't support most of them.

The most appealing ones are those which can be connected via Firewire.
They're cheap and functional.

I heard about FreeBoB, but it seems like it's an (very) early project,
and that I shouldn't count on it.

Are there any recording devices like the "Focusrite Saffire", the
"Alesis iO-26", the "RME Fireface 400", the "M-Audio Firewire 410",
etc, that are around 350$USD and that Linux supports?

In the worst case, I can always dual-boot, but I really wanted us to
use Linux for the music stuff.

Thanks!
Yo'av.