Re: [linux-audio-user] rosegarden, chionic and mixxx hardlock my box

From: Thomas Kuther <gimpel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 19:03:29 EEST

On Fri, 12 May 2006 17:53:20 +0200
Thomas Kuther <gimpel@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi people!
>
> Just tried mixxx-1.5.0-beta1 and unfortunately i have to count it to
> my list of "box killers". This list currently contains
> * rosegarden
> * chionic
> * mixxx
>
> Interestingly those are all QT apps. But QT works fine here, for
> example MusE just works like a charm.
> And now im interested in finding out what causes those three apps to
> completely hardlock my system. And they _really_ HARDlock it, in a way
> that the kernel doesn't even react on a sysrq+s/u/b call anymore. no
> keyboard, no mouse, nothing in any logs.. just dead.
>
> Crappy hardware also is not the cause i guess, as card 1 is a M-Audio
> Audiophile 2496, and card 2 is a ESI Juli@ - and as said apps like
> MusE, LMMS and a big number of other apps work just fine.
>
> I tested it on both cards, in case of rosegarden with both, direct
> ALSA and jack output, and it hardlocks the system shortly after the
> splash is displayed. I have no idea what could be the cause because i
> can't get a trace or anything and have to hard-reset the box.
>
> I would be very pleased if anyone has an idea where to start with
> debugging that.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Tom

Ok.. 5 mins after wrinting the mail another guy with the same problem
told me that it is not the kernel that hardlocks, but it's X that
completely freezes. He was able to remotely login, kill & restart X and
all was fine again.

I tried that too from flatmates notebook and indeed it is X that dies...
..one step closer.. but still: searching for the reason why.